Directions (Q.1-5): Each question below has two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
1. Few professions can _________ the sheer variety and constant _________ of being a doctor.
1) like, struggle
2) share, enthusiast
3) match, challenge
4) draw, workload
5) justify, exception
2. Many teachers_______ the lack of professional freedom as the ______ for leaving the job.
1) cited, reason
2) explained, force
3) claimed. Understanding
4) argued, culprit
5) believe, ground
3. A public servant who is guilty will not ________ punishment and no ________ person will be punished.
1) be, sincere 2) flee, guilty 3) defend, common 4) avoid, uninformed 5) escape, innocent
4. The Reserve Bank of India will be __________ up an information technology subsidiary to_______ to regulation and supervision.
1) setting, improve 2) making, advance 3) giving, amend 4) taking, boost 5) filling, better
5. Unpredictable _________ of the child could not lead the consultants to any _____________.
1) performance, setting
2) belief, judgment
3) operation, purpose
4) behaviour, conclusion
5) react, decision
Directions (Q6-10): In these questions, sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word. Five alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the five alternatives
6. The subject was the ……… of Saudi Aramco, the world’s biggest oil company.
7. The restructuring of the airlines had become ………. as the organisation had been in the red for the past eight years.
8.The Supreme Court barred nine ……. Congress legislators from participating in the confidence vote.
9. The government is pursuing a two pronged strategy on ………… sources, while trying to cut energy dependence.
10. The ……… actor was surrounded by a huge crowd of gossip mongers.